The framework for a practical state nutrition emergency preparedness has changed significantly in recent decades. How can the governmental demand for a qualitative and quantitative minimum supply of the population be enforced while maintaining the market with its allocation function together with the private sector? The central research question of WP 3 consists in developing requirements for a concept of the integrated FSEP from a regulatory perspective. For that matter, the role of aid organizations is significant because they represent an important link between state actors and the population and during a supply crisis they would fulfill important tasks regarding the provision of the population, since according to the current state FSEP-concept the aid organizations would supply the population with food from the Federal Reserve.
Study of the potential for improvement of FSEP-measures of state actors and aid organizations
Object of investigation of the competence center Humanitarian Aid of the University of Applied Sciences of Münster is the role of government and aid organizations in securing the critical infrastructure food supply during a crisis.
The following objectives, which should lead to the development of new strategies for the FSEP are tracked in the project:
- Analysis of the existing state provision plans with respect to their possible applicability and practicality in case of a crisis as a basis for the development of governmental action strategies,
- Investigation of the sensitivity of the state provision (organizational structures, material-investment arrangements),
- Analysis of the role of aid organizations as a link between state actors and the population,
- Investigation of the cooperation possibilities with the food supply of the private sector: which concepts could be developed for a united crisis management of stakeholders of the private sector with the support of public authorities?
- Comparative examination of the FSEP-measures in selected countries in Europe to adapt and transfer successful measures to the situation in Germany.
Nutrition precautionary measures from the perspective of aid organizations
The German Red Cross, as a "voluntary aid society of the German authorities in the humanitarian field" as well as a contributing organization in fulfilling the tasks of civil protection in Germany, commits as defined by the care service, " to offer help in case of a disturbance or disruption of societal, social and medical structures to people in need, but who do not require immediate acute medical treatment". This includes the supply and provision of individuals and emergency services. Against the background of changing security situation, these concepts need to be adapted to the new challenges. To address the failures of critical infrastructure of organizations and institutions, aid organizations have to organize themselves failure proof as a critical infrastructure and they have to introduce a unified risk and crisis management in government, aid organizations and companies. This is especially true for the sensitive and critical area of nutrition provision. Objective within the research project NeuENV, therefore, is to raise public awareness and to increase the self-help capacity of the population (keyword food stocking). On the other hand, its own structures should be adapted to the new challenges and to this restructuring should be implemented for other organizations to also be able to ensure the future emergency food supply.